The heart of our education Local Offer is our Education Support page. However, there are lots of sources of information and support specifically for school aged young people (5-16).

If your child is 5, you might be wondering whether to look for information under 0-5 or 5-16. These age groupings are based on education key stages. If you child has started school, this is the right place for you to be.

Read more on our 0-5 pages

Education support – universal and targeted support

Parents/ carers told us that they often have to rely on word of mouth to understand what ‘good’ education support looks like. Every educational setting will approach support for young people with special educational needs slightly differently, but we have worked with schools and educational specialists to capture a standard offer. This includes mainstream, special and independent schools. To understand how your young person’s school or education setting can support them, please enter their age and needs into our Education Support page.

Read more about Education Support

Education support – specialist support

Young people with long-term or complex special educational needs will need specialist support. This is the kind of support provided for young people who meet the statutory threshold.

These are the young people who have an education, health and care Plan.

This type of support is completely person-centred, which means it will vary depending on an individual’s needs. This makes it difficult to ‘capture’ in a standard offer. Therefore, we have create a separate section to explain how education, health and care plans, or My Plans, as they are known in Wiltshire, will work.

Read more about My Plans

Mediation and Appeal

If you are unhappy with the educational support your family are offered, you have the right to mediation and appeal. This might be because you have been turned down in an application for support you feel you are entitled to, or because you are unhappy with the support you are being provided.

Read more about Mediation and Appeals

Educational information – links to schools and SEND provision

Our education settings support pages capture a standard for good education support. However, schools and settings will approach their responsibilities differently, depending on the needs of their students and their specific expertise.

For information on how individual schools can support your young person, or if you are looking for a list of special schools.

Find out more about Wiltshire educational settings 

Children’s Centres

  • Children’s Centres provide support for parents, carers and their children.
  • They are primarily aimed at children under 5 but also work with children up to 11.
  • Children Centre’s offer advice and information as well as being able to direct you towards other services that may be able to help.
  • Children’s Centre offer a range of services including activities, groups, individual support as well as advice on  family health, parenting, money, training and employment.
  • Some Centres also have sensory rooms and equipment which can be accessed by parents and carers.
  • Wiltshire has 16 Children’s Centres.

Find your nearest Children’s Centre

Ethnic Minority Achievement Service (EMAS)

Wiltshire EMAS is a Wiltshire Council service, supporting schools to meet the needs of learners of English as an Additional Language (EAL) and other minority ethnic children and young people.

The service consists of:

  • Bilingual Assistants (peripatetic Teaching Assistants who work alongside learners in the classroom and support with home/school contact);
  • Advisory Teachers (who support schools with raising their own capacity through advice and training, and who can assess learners and make recommendations about provision);
  • a Special Projects worker, who works on specific interventions designed to narrow the gaps for learners.

Schools can refer individual children to us via the Specific Agency Referral Form (SARF), downloadable here. For anything else, or for more informal advice, please contact us on 01225 718230 or at emas@wiltshire.gov.uk .

Read more about the Ethnic Minority Achievement Service


Additional support and information is available to help children and young people when moving through different phases of education e.g. from Early Years to school, from primary to secondary school.  All maintained nurseries, schools and academies are required to  publish a SEN information report which provides information about the support they offer for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities within their care.

If you have a specific enquiry about a child with SEND please call the SEND Single Point of Contact on 01225 757985 (9am – 4.30pm, Monday – Friday).

Additional documentation regarding the transition process can be viewed in the ‘Useful Documents’ section of the website.   For further information please click here.

Cartoon representation of Wiltshire
Wiltshire Council