Post 16 / Preparing for Adulthood

Click here to find an interactive Route to Adulthood (Updated September 2017)scroll across the words on the map to find links to more information.
Or see below for a list of information headings.

Schools, Colleges and Other Providers

There are a range of options for young people moving into post 16 education. Some mainstream schools offer courses in their 6th forms. Wiltshire also offers high quality local and specialist college provision. Please click on the link for details of these and others just across the borders:

Post 16 Options (Nov 18)


Job Centre+

Jobcentre Plus is a service for people who receive the following benefits:

Jobseeker’s Allowance You can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) to help you when you look for work. For more information or to apply:

Employment Support Allowance provides money if you can’t work because of illness or disability. For more information or to apply:

Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income or none at all. For more information or to apply:

Universal Credit has started to replace 6 benefits with a single monthly payment if you’re out of work or on a low income. For more information or to apply:

First you need to apply for the benefit. Following this an appointment would be made for you at the Jobcentre, if required. You would then meet with a Work Coach who will support you to become job ready.

For further information, visit this website:

Social Care Provision

An early referral is encouraged for an Adult Services assessment, also called a transition assessment, as an assessment of needs may be required. The law says that this must happen when it would be of “significant benefit’ to the young person. Care Act (2014)

If offered an assessment, your assessing worker will decide whether or not you meet eligibility for adult social care. Your assessor will look to see if you have a substantial risk to your wellbeing in certain areas of your life such as needing support with personal care. The eligibility criteria can be found in the Care Act (2014) – click on the link for a quick reference guide.  The fact that a young adult is eligible for adult social care does not necessarily mean that they will get the same support that they were receiving as a child. The level and type of support will instead reflect needs as an adult. Assessment for adult care or support must consider whether the young person is likely to have needs for care and support after they turn 18 and, if so, what those needs are likely to be, and which are likely to be eligible needs.

If a young adult is not eligible for adult social care, they will be given advice and signposted to other support that may be available

For many young people, living with parents when they reach adulthood is the preferred option. The Council is committed to supporting the young person to live at home with their family. The support available to a person choosing to remain at home comes in different forms and not dissimilar to services provided as a child.

Respite / Direct Payment / Personal Budget

There are three respite services within the Council, which young adults with a diagnosed learning disability can choose to access. The respite services are in Devizes, Chippenham and Salisbury. The number of nights offered to a young person is based on need, so varies from person to person. If a young people chooses not to access one of the respite services, they can request a direct payment instead. This option is available for young people with a disability who have an assessed need.

Day Opportunities / Direct Payment / Personal Budget / Direct Service

The Council provides day opportunities across Wiltshire for young adults who have a learning disability. All day opportunities provide a variety of activities, including hydro, ice skating, swimming and bowling. These services are in Devizes Chippenham Trowbridge and Salisbury. For young people where day opportunities are not appropriate, or are not a preferred choice, a direct payment can be requested instead. This option is available for young people with a disability who have an assessed need. How this is used is up to the young person and their families but can be used for private day opportunities or a PA. Some young people and their families do not wish to receive a direct payment. In these circumstances a direct service may be something families wish to explore further. A direct service is where the Council pays an agency directly to provide support in line with assessed need. A completed support plan is sent to all accredited providers within Wiltshire and they will tender for agreement to provide the support.

Community Connecting / WEST

Community Connecting and WEST are both still available as a young adult.

Living Arrangements

For some young people, living at home is not an option and alternative arrangements need to be considered. It is our aspiration for all young people to grow up to live as independently as possible, having choice and control over their lives. Where alternative accommodation is required the Council would look to provide a supported living package.

Housing – You should also think, or be supported to think about how /when you may eventually want to move out of the family home.  This will involve a social care assessment the following may be helpful.

A booklet has been designed to provide information that will support a discussion with someone with learning disabilities who is thinking about moving into their own home. It aims to describe the advantages and disadvantages associated with different types of housing options that you will find in your area.  Click below to read this booklet:  No Place Like Home

What is supported living?

Supported living can mean and be different things to different people. For some, supported living can be living on their own with minimal support, living as independently as possible within the community. A young person will have their own tenancy and receive benefits which they will use toward daily living, bills and rent.

Supported Living can mean living with others and sharing some support. It can mean having access to support 24 hours a day. A young person will have their own tenancy and receive benefits which they will use toward daily living, bills and rent.


Telecare will always be explored as an option to meet eligible unmet need rather than paid support. Telecare is support and assistance provided at a distance using information and communication technology.  Telecare offers young people security and peace of mind, through services that enables them to stay independent in their own home. One of the simplest forms of telecare is a pendent. This can be worn around the wrist or around the neck. This can be pressed and will alert a monitoring center with trained operators staffed 24 hours a day. This will then enable the young person to have a conversation and explain the reasoning for their call.

Who provides support within supported living?

As within Children’s Services, a Direct Payment / Personal budget can be offered to employ a choice of agency or PA’S. If a young person or their family are not wanting this, a direct service can be offered. A support plan will be developed with the young person which will be sent out to the local accredited provides within Wiltshire by the resource specialist. The chosen provider will be based on meeting the young person’s outcomes, alongside best value. If a young person will be sharing with others a provider will tender for all young people and the best provider for all young people will be chosen.

Housing Options

To apply for housing through the Council, an application through Homes for Wiltshire will need to be made. Priority giving will depend on individual circumstances. The type of property given i.e. bedrooms will be dependent on need. If you are going to be sharing a tenancy with identified others, then all need to make a housing application with one person as the lead name. Housing will only be offered when support has been assessed and a provider agreed and identified. There is the opportunity to move into existing supported living and the Council have a list of possible vacancies to explore. There are opportunities to rent from private landlords and there are companies who will offer support in identifying suitable accommodation.

Shared Lives

An alternative to supported living is shared lives this would be, it provides a young adult the opportunity to live with a family. Click this link to read the leaflet:   SHARED LIVES Leaflet August 2016

Residential Care Home

For some people, residential care is more appropriate. This tends to be for young people with more complex needs, because of their physical need, health need or support with their challenging behaviour.

All options outlined above are dependent on eligibility and appropriateness of provision. A young person’s capacity will always be at the forefront, with them making their own decisions and choices where they have capacity to do so.



Post-16 Transport Policy

Click on link for details: SEN Travel Assistance Policy (March 2018)

Click on link for application form: Sept 2018 Post 16 transport application form

Post-16 Leisure Activities

For information about post-16 leisure activities, please visit

Post-16 Placement Policy

Click on link for details: Post 16 Placement Policy

Mediation and Appeal

Families now have the right to the same education mediation and appeal right up to the age of 25. This might be because you have been turned down in an application for support you feel you are entitled to, or because you are unhappy with the support you are being provided.

Read more about Mediation and Appeals

Cartoon representation of Wiltshire
Wiltshire Council